Baseball is America’s pastime and going to watch a match of Major League Baseball (MLB game) is usually a tradition for many families and fans. If you’re wondering just how long is a MLB game, then we will clear all of your confusion right here.
In this article, we have discussed everything that you should know about the length of an MLB match. So let’s find out together how long is a Major League Baseball match in 2023.
Whether you are watching your first MLB game and want to know for curiosity about average MLB game length compared to other professional sports. In this post will give you a good overview of how long you will be watching your favorite MLB team’s match.
How Long Is A MLB Game Last Usually In 2023?
The average MLB game length 2023 is 2 hours 38 minutes. So both teams in Major League Baseball matches have to play for a total of 160 minutes in total. Sometimes the game time of MLB also gets extended depending on the match situation if both teams are playing competitively.
How Many Innings Are In A MLB Game 2023?
As per MLB game regulations, there are 9 Innings in a match. Both teams do batting during the first & second halves of an Inning. If the MLB match gets tied even after playing 9th Inning then extra innings are played until one team holds the winning score.
How Long Is A MLB Game With Pitch Clock?
The MLB game time takes 2 hours 38 minutes with Pitch Clock in 2023. The average MLB match length has been shortened since the Pitch Clock has been taken into consideration. Before 2023, the total time for Major League Baseball without Pitch Clock was 3 hours and 6 minutes.
The Pitch Clock has limited pitch delivery time for the pitcher. The Pitcher has to deliver the pitch within 14 seconds after receiving the ball from the catcher. So as per new baseball MLB time duration rules, if a pitcher fails to deliver within 14 seconds then a ball will be called.
Are MLB Games Shorter With Pitch Clock?
Yes, after the implementation of Picth Clock, the MLB game duration has been shortened a lot. Before Pitch Clock, the MLB match time length was 183 minutes in total. This time is now reduced to 158 minutes if you wonder how long is a MLB game last with Pitch Clock.
As the Major League Baseball game are getting shorter, the fans are getting more excited to watch MLB matches. With the Pitch Clock time limit, the strike throws by pitchers are seen more often which creates excitement for MLB watchers.
How Long Is An Average MLB Game?
If you wonder on average how long is a MLB game time then it’s 2 hours 40 minutes in total. As compared to the previous year, the average MLB match length has been reduced by a great time. Also, the Picth Clock has been a major factor in decreasing the total MLB game duration in 2023.
How Long Is A MLB Game On TV?
The average MLB match length on TV is normally around 3 hours and 10 minutes. So you have to spend almost 210 minutes if you are going to watch an MLB game on TV. If you wonder why MLB game duration is longer on TV than usual then it’s because of the following factors:
- Commercial Breaks: There are tons of commercial Ad breaks while watching Major League Baseball match on TV. So these Ad breaks extend the watch time for MLB matches as they are shown repeatedly after regular time intervals.
- Broadcast Replays: While you are watching an MLB game on TV, the broadcaster shows match replays and pre-game content from time to time. It also leads to an increase in MLB game time when you watch it on TV.
How Many Hours Is A MLB Game?
MLB match takes almost 3 hours if you include the starting ceremony, injuries, break interval, and extra innings time. But the MLB match duration has decreased a lot after the new Pitch Clock rule was introduced.
Though you can’t confirm actually how long is a MLB game would be going to last. Sometimes it takes less than 3 hours and other times it goes beyond 3 hours also. So it would be better to focus on enjoying the MLB gameplay rather than how much time it takes.
How Long Does An MLB Game Have To Go To Count?
The MLB game goes long up to 9 innings which are put to count. Both baseball teams have to play a total of 9 innings to complete the game. If the score gets tied after 9 innings, the MLB game extra innings are played until a winner is decided.
If the Major League Baseball match doesn’t goes long up to even 5 innings then it is counted as a “no-game”. So each of these innings is divided into two halves that will be played by both baseball teams.
Why Is MLB Game So Long?
The average MLB match length can go around 3 hours if you are wondering how long is a MLB game. Here are the common factors that make MLB match last longer:
- Lots Of Pitch Throws: Throwing pitches is common in MLB matches and there is an average of 100 pitches thrown per match. If there are a lot of pitch throws in a MLB game then it will take longer.
- Pitch Changing: Changing pitches in an MLB game can extend a lot of time making the match last longer. In each MLB match, 4 pitching changes can be made by a team in the middle of the innings.
- More Strikeouts: If an MLB match has lots of strikeouts then it will take a long time to end. MLB strikeouts usually last longer & each match has around 15 strikeouts which consumes a lot of time.
- Extra Innings: When MLB matches are tied by the end of the 9th inning, it will take extra innings to decide the winner. So any innings played beyond the 9th inning will increase MLB game time & make the match last longer.
- Unexpected Delays: Sometimes there are injuries to players while playing MLB matches leading to delays. Bad weather & field issue also causes average MLB game length to extend.
Can A Major League Baseball (MLB) Match Last 2 Hours?
Yes, MLB matches easily last 2 hours and even longer if you don’t know how long is a MLB game. With lots of factors including 9 innings, delays, & extra innings, each MLB game can last more than 2 hours in time.
If we talk about an MLB match on TV then also it will last 2 hours and more than that. As there are many commercials and replays on TV broadcasting that each MLB game time can go beyond 2 hours.
What Is The Longest MLB Game Time?
The longest Major League Baseball match was played for 8 hours 6 minutes in length. It was a 25 Innings MLB game between Chicago White Sox and Milwaukee Brewers on May 8, 1984.
Also, the longest MLB game 2023 happened between Oakland Athletics and Arizona Diamondbacks. This match lasted for 4 hours and 9 minutes with 12 Innings, which is far beyond the average MLB game length.
So, you can never actually tell how long an MLB game is going to last, similar to how the length of a hockey game is also uncertain.
Which Is The Shortest MLB Game 2023?
In 2023, the shortest MLB match time is 2 hours and 10 minutes. The match was played between Cleveland Guardians & Seattle Mariners, which is one of the shortest MLB game after the Pitch Clock rule.
In MLB match history, the shortest game was played between New York Giants and Philadelphia Phillies which lasted for only 51 minutes in total. This 9 Innings match was far shorter than the average MLB game length 2023.
Do MLB Games End Early?
Yes, MLB match does end early but it depends on various types of conditions. The Major League Baseball game ends early if the home team is leading after the 9th Inning. Also, if the weather is bad then MLB games end early and it is considered a “No-game” for both teams.
If both teams are playing fast then the MLB match can end early. So don’t worry how long is a MLB game because it can finish faster also.
How Much Shorter Are MLB Games Now?
Now the MLB matches are shortened by 28 minutes in 2023. Previously in 2022, the average MLB game length was 3 hours 6 minutes but it is now changed to 2 hours 38 minutes. There are various factors like the Pitch Clock time limit that have caused MLB game duration to shrink.
Why Does MLB Want Shorter Games?
There are various reasons why MLB matches are shorter now.
- Shorter MLB games are more appealing as people get to enjoy an amazing baseball match within short time intervals.
- When MLB game duration is longer, there are fewer chances for delays. So Major League Baseball fans can enjoy quick gameplay within a short time.
- If an MLB match last longer, it will cost more to game organizers due to staff salaries & stadium maintenance. So shorter MLB game length also saves money.
How Long Is A MLB Game In Person?
In the stadium, MLB game time for a person takes from 4-5 hours from beginning to finish of the match & leaving. Otherwise, it can take longer for extra innings.
How Long Is A Typical MLB Game?
The normal play time of an MLB match is 2 hours 38 minutes in which 9 innings are completed. If you consider everything then it will take more time in MLB stadium.